RRIF - Registered Retirement Income Fund
- a RIF is a tax-sheltered retirement income option for converting RRSP funds
- regular contribution to RRSP will result in substantial accumulation of savings
- government regulations require all RRSPs to be converted to Registered Retirement Income Fund during the year you turn 71
- RRIFs are available in one (1) to five (5) year terms. RRIFs allow you to choose and vary the income frequency payment and amount, as long as minimum mandatory payment set by the government is met.
- Deposits held in registered savings plans are separately insured from the deposits held in other accounts. All funds held in RRIF plans are fully insured through the Deposit Insurance Corporation of Ontario (DICO) with no limit on the maximum amount.