Ukrainian Credit Union Limited (UCU) is a Canadian financial institution providing a full range of products and services to our members. We are among one of the 25 largest credit unions in Canada and have 13 branch locations throughout Ontario. For more than 78 years, UCU has served its broader community by supporting the maintenance and growth of Ukrainian cultural, educational, and community life in Canada. Learn more at www.ukrainiancu.com
About the Position
We are currently looking for a Commercial Accounts Officer, to join our Commercial Credit Department, based out of Toronto. You will report directly to the Credit Manager. You will manage a commercial loan portfolio of small to medium sized business accounts whose business needs are generally straightforward. Typical businesses may include small to medium sized franchises; businesses with one or two locations; professionals and small trades. Initiates and/or participates in business development activities to enhance the portfolio by consolidation and retention of existing business and by obtaining new business from potential customers. Provides advice such as debt consolidations and information to members on loan services and other credit union products and services. Actively solicits new sales opportunities through warm and cold calling potential community businesses as well as through staff referrals. Maintains a high profile within the branch trading area and actively seeks out opportunities to build and foster relationships with members, non-members and business contacts
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Qualifies all loan opportunities by conducting member interviews, collecting and analyzing relevant business and personal financial information, verifying loan application information and investigating other variables affecting loan viability.
- Declines/approves loans and mortgages within discretionary limits; makes recommendations for approvals/declines to next level management if outside discretionary limits.
- Being a product specialist, providing good financial advice by identifying services members need.
- Promote, recommend and explain digital services to members.
- Prepares all loan applications and ensures instructions outlining the loan conditions are clearly laid out on check list (i.e., loan type, interest rate, securities, searches, liens, administration fees) for appropriate loan documentation.
- Processes all appropriate documents associated with loan approval including, insurance and cheque disbursements; liaises with all relevant agents such as home inspectors and lawyers.
- Develops a procedure for early identification of problem accounts and promptly takes action to minimize risk; initiates ‘soft’ collection activity by following up delinquent accounts.
- Develops a procedure to identify loan renewals; initiates contact with member to maintain accounts and relationships.
- Completes annual reviews on portfolio accounts including property site visits as required. Maintains an adequate diary log system to monitor all aspects of the portfolio; ensures any deficiencies are resolved in a timely manner.
- Represents the credit union in the community by participating in local business activities and community functions, as required by management and for business development purposes.
- Maintains strict adherence to credit union and branch operating procedures, lending policies and security procedures with respect to assigned authorities and responsibilities; reports any unusual occurrences or fraudulent activity to next level management upon discovery.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by next level management as, and when, required. This may include qualifying and processing mortgages and personal loans for high profile or special accounts.
- Post-secondary with study in Finance and Accounting an asset.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- 2-3 years experience as a lender in a financial institution; able to demonstrate: knowledge of member life cycle needs; knowledge of features and benefits of lending, investment, and deposit products; knowledge of interviewing solicitation and telemarketing skills.
- Strong team player
- Strong sales skills
- Ability to understand and analyze financial statements
- Excellent computer skills – Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook
- Embrace learning and utilizing new technologies
- Bilingual – English; Ukrainian is an asset
- This position interacts with credit union members, all branch positions and members of the community, including the business community within the branch trade area.
- A standard office environment is provided
- Travel is required to conduct site inspections. Also, travel to various credit union and meeting locations within the province may be required. Access to a reliable vehicle is required.
- Concentration is required when working with computer systems.
- Regular interruptions by staff and members (unscheduled appointments)
COVID-19 vaccinations are the most effective way to safeguard the health of our employees and our overall workplace. As such, offer of employment is also conditional upon UCU receiving written confirmation of your receipt of a full series of a COVID-19 vaccination approved by Health Canada. UCU’s requirement that you be vaccinated is subject to any accommodation obligations it may have under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
For consideration, please submit your resume by email to Lana Rudenko, Acting Credit Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday July 1, 2022.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.